Monday, November 29, 2010

A Bus Ride

Just as I think there is no way possible I can fit on the bus, I push myself onto the front stair. As I jump in five small elder women force me in further, screaming zou, zou, zou or go, go, go. Where can I possibly go? As far as the eye can see, I am met by a sea of black hair. Yet somehow we all have made it on the bus. The doors slide shut and the bus takes flight. The bus driver never seems to mind, nor does the bus appear to struggle in the way that you can feel the load of a heavy car. It's just daily life in China.

I just finished reading a Chinese lesson in my textbook about how you can forget about taking a local city bus if you don't like to scramble. The lesson is not referring to a specific city, it is a general cultural phenomenon. When did scrambling to squeeze on the bus become a cultural lesson? To me this story explains modern day China- Chinese mammoth population meets modern technology and we cross our fingers that the bus doesn't collapse.

Maybe soon I'll brave taking out my camera to capture this, it's a sight worth seeing.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very similiar to taking a bus in your hometown of NYC at rush hour. Love you and hope and sounds like you are enjoying life and the crowds in Kunming!!

    xo Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please take a picture of this! I'm dying to see what it must be like!
    I miss you:)

    ReplyDelete