Saturday, April 4, 2009

School?

I had a very valid request to hear about umm school? My routine of life in Kunming?

It's true! You wouldn't believe from my blogs that everyday I went to Chinese class from 8 - 12 in the morning, with a half hour break in between to practice Taijiquan. Before Taiji, we have our reading class, where we analyze written Chinese. After Taiji, we switch teachers and have our speaking class. Every afternoon, we learn about a different aspect of Chinese history or culture. The first seminar (a little over a week long) was "History and Religion", the next seminar was "Social Issues and Humanities" (TCM, NGOs, Education, Chinese instruments, Economy, Gender, AIDS/HIV, and a trip to a Drug Clinic), and this new seminar that just began is "Minorities and Field Study". For each seminar we are given a bound reading packet to help prepare us with background before the lectures. Some lectures are incredibly effective and leave me fascinated, while others use good ol' powerpoint and recite verbatim what we can already see. Overall, I have been impressed by the people we have met and the issues we have discussed.

Kunming itself: It has taken me a while to wrap my head around this city, so I have waited to explore more, feel out the different places. But my opinion and ability to further articulate myself has not changed. This city immediately captivated me. It's bustling, yet not overbearing. It's diverse, for Chinese standards, I can visibly see the distinct religions and nationalities (though only evident through museums, restaurants, and shops). The city considers itself a "melting pot" and although I can not compare to other Chinese cities, I sense an openness and pride from this reputation. And it's rather friendly. Maybe it is the constant warm weather, but nobody is too intensely pushy and people are generally helpful and smiley.

I am also beginning to feel established here. I have found a wonderful new dance studio, where I have started to take classes. I am becoming a regular at the wonderful Green Lake park (half park/half open-air theater for anyone to dance or play music). Also people and cafes are starting to recognize my face. I am feeling very comfortable here, though I realize I still operate in a small sphere of the city. But this university area, close to the main downtown, has so much to offer.
It's strange to know I will be back here, and a really fulfilling satisfying life is possible. I'm not talking long term, but Chinese is my college investment, and it is such a hard hill to climb and I do not plan on turning around.

No comments:

Post a Comment