Thursday, April 16, 2009

On the Road Again ;)

Now we are on the road. I know I just explained my daily routine, but nothing is permanent here. This semester is a wonderful survey of life in Yunnan, China. But we are just wetting our feet, so we are on the move. Beginning last Saturday, for two weeks the entire group is traveling together to visually see more of Yunnan and it's nationality groups. Ethnic nationalities or minorities, as they are referred to, have an special role here because they give China uniqueness and definition. Without China's fifty-five ethnic nationalities' customs and dresses, what would China look like? A man in a suit? Although ethnic minorities only occupy about 7% of the population, they allow China to call themselves a "multi-national country". The Han majority, 93%, is really a group almost as the default.

As excited as I was to begin this new phase of the trip, I was equally nervous about traveling by bus as a big group. Something feels superficial about this form of travel- jump off the bus, make a big splash, then scurry off to the next place. Although I genuinely enjoyed myself in the first two locations, Weishan and Dali, I felt slightly disconnected from China.

In Weishan, we watched a local Yi ethnicity dance performance:

Evan getting into character:

From Weibaoshan Daoist mountain:

Calligrapher:

(The middle calligraphy painting is now in my possession)

Keli'i feeling extremely enthusiastic:

Before Dali, we visited a tie-dye factory, making tie-dye products is now a specialty of this region:


Our very own Bush Sr. also made this visit: (He is looking good in that tie-dye!)


But then you have a day like yesterday (4/15/09), when you realize how privileged you are to have the insider tour. Yesterday morning we visited a Bai ethnic village, with a model bi-lingual school. This school teaches both Bai language and Putonghua, standardized Chinese (mandarin), as a second language. The school also attempts to preserve traditional Bai culture by reviving and teaching local songs and dance. And oh man were the kids adorable! This school was established by a retired couple, husband from Australia, wife from China, supported by the organization SIL, initially known as Summer Institute of Linguistics. working to revive lesser-known languages.








Then that afternoon we found our night's residence, hidden within a mountain, was a beautiful Buddhist temple. Inside one of the temples were dorm rooms for the few visitors who frequent this special oasis. As we climbed up the steep set of stairs, I could feel the air begin to change. Life felt calm. Facing us was an enormous golden Buddha, with an wide-open smile. I just smiled back. The next morning we were greeted by monkeys.

The entrance:



Beth and I just sitting and enjoying the view:





Small hike to Shaxi, but still/always stunningly beautiful:

We started our hike in Shibaoshan, famous for ancient grottos:



Now, I just started my Shaxi rural village homestay. This place is wonderful. It is beginning to develop yet somehow attempting to maintain it's unique character. We will stay here for four days, doing a community study project to better understand China's rural life. I will begin my ISP topic, how rural TCM doctors learn their trade (compared with TCM university students).
Side note: my homestay mother has the warmest smile and it's just me and her fourteen year old daughter.

Homestay mother:
Father just got home that night:



1 comment:

  1. Tal, I just encountered a perspective on "development" possibly relevant to minorities in Yunnan:

    http://www.adb.org/Documents/Events/2007/Inclusive-Growth-Poverty-Reduction/D-Feingold-S5B.pdf

    Love, Myron

    ReplyDelete